Subject: Re: PixPro2 now shipping
From: Aranka Szocs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 01:21:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Jim McCabe wrote:

> After hearing about the release of Pixel 3D 2.0, I'm curious about the results
> others have gotten with the previous version of Pixel. I bought a copy over 
> a year ago, and after many, many hours of experimenting, consulting with 
> tech support, and talking to users, I never was able to achieve what I 
> consider professional results when attempting to convert a bitmap image to 
> 3D object. It seemed that to really clean up the image enough to make the 
> resulting 3D object look as sharp and clean as, say, a text object obtained 
> with the Logotron macro in LW (using the supplied LW fonts) it required a 
> LOT of meticulous work in DPaint or the like. Even with a very sharp source 
> image, and after after selectively applying the individual smoothing options 
> on various parts of the image, the resulting image always had visible 
> jaggies. Am I expecting too much, or just not doing it right ?
> 

I have been making 'flying' logos for a few years now, and I know that no
matter how clean your 2D scan/picture is, there will be some need to
manipulate the converted faces. I am a perfectionist, so approximated
curves of converting softwares won't do. I either do my own tracing with
Aladdin 4D, and then converting the VideoScape format face, then
extruding, or use ProDraw to do a decent trace with its own Trace,
resulting in b-splines which I can later modify and perfect.
 
Hope this helps.

Aranka